Edwina’s Advice about Growing Old: “Find the Magic!”

Edwina Elbert, 94, on the adventure of aging:

I tell people: “Each person born has been chosen by fate from a trillion possibilities. How then can you complain of bad luck when you have won the greatest lottery of them all?”Now isn’t that true?

People have to learn to be thankful.  To see the wonders of this world – you know, we are here for such a short time.  I didn’t realize I was old until I was ninety years old.  There’s still so much to see and so much to read, and so much to learn.  We should be thankful that we’ve had this opportunity to live.  It’s strange about this…the way that it’s all set up so that we only have a certain length of time. But we’re lucky.  Aren’t we lucky to have seen the Empire State building and all of this stuff?

My advice about growing old? I’d tell them to find the magic.  The world is a magical place in lots of ways.  To enjoy getting up in the morning and watching the sun come up.  And that’s something that you can do when you are growing older.  You can be grateful, happy for the things that have happened.  You should enjoy your life.  Grow a little.

Just because you’re getting older doesn’t mean that you need to stop growing. I used to think that when you got old you sat back in a rocking chair and let the world go by.  Well that’s not for me and that’s not for a lot of people.  I can’t dance anymore, but if I could I would.

There’s no reason for anybody in this world to ever be bored.  That’s one thing I’ve always said.  Well if I died and went to heaven, I’d be bored to death with how they say heaven is.  There’s no need for you to be bored in this world.  There’s so much out there.  And your attitude, be optimistic.  I’ve been optimistic all my life.  Even as a little girl I can remember that no matter what happened it would turn out all right.  In this country almost everybody is taking antidepressants.  Why in the world are people taking antidepressants?  It should be a wonderful world.  Mine has been a great ride, believe me.

3 thoughts on “Edwina’s Advice about Growing Old: “Find the Magic!”

1. I agree, Edwina! I have had a wonderful life and I am very grateful that the fates allowed me to do many things and now
    I have the memories!
    I believe we are allotted a certain amount of time on earth and it is up to us to spend it as we see fit. I know we mostly have to earn our keep, one way or another, but we can do it willingly or we can do it with a grudge. Life really is, just a bowl of cherries!

2. Every time I read advice from the elders, I am struck by the articulation and beauty of it that are just impossible to gain without experiences that they have accumulated through decades- How can they describe their advice in such a concise and relatable manner? I admire their wisdom so much that I am so excited about getting old day by day!

I had lived with a live-in nanny, who is now 84-years-old, for the first 15 years of my life in South Korea and she always told me to count up all the blessings I have. I think it is very hard to be grateful in a world where insatiable desire seems to be the recipe for a successful life. Thank you for this little surprise advice that came into my email. It made my day! 🙂

3. When elders share their best memory and give the advices about life ,it feels is so great as they are the most experienced people and they know what should a person do. Thanks for a great article 🙂