Don’t Worry about What Everyone Else Thinks

Winona, 72, tells younger people that they need to be true to themselves, rather than trying to please everyone else.

The biggest lesson I have learned is that when I was younger I paid much too much attention to what everybody else thought. I didn’t always do what I thought was best. Instead, I often did what everybody else thought I should be doing. And every time I stood my ground and did what I thought I ought to be doing, I did better and things went better. I cared too much about what other people thought about my profession and about me as a person. I think that’s the biggest lesson and it spills over into so many different things.

And that led me to another another life lesson: that following the rules doesn’t always get you where you want to go. There are ways of staying within the boundaries of legality without following every single rule that your mother laid down for you. Sometimes rules are meant to be broken and I think I paid a little too much attention to the rules. They got me quite far, but I think I would have gotten much farther had I not paid attention to the rules, not caring whether people like what you are doing.

2 thoughts on “Don’t Worry about What Everyone Else Thinks

1. Good Morning,
    I don’t recall who originally said this but I do believe it is true:
    When you were young you constantly worried about what people thought of you, when you reached middle age you were comfortable enough in your own skin that you didn’t care about what people thought, but it is only in your golden years that you finally realize that they weren’t thinking of you at all! To many years are wasted worrying about what other people think.
    Bill