The Book: It’s Finally Here!

When I started the Legacy Project six years ago, I wasn’t sure where it would take me. When I began collecting the advice for living of America’s elders, I knew that I had a deep, personal need to learn more about their practical wisdom. I wanted to take what older people know about living happy and fulfilling lives and make it available to younger people.

As time went by and our studies collected the life lessons of over 1200 elders, it seemed like there might be a book in there. Then followed the months of synthesizing all the information and making it accessible to readers.

The end result of all this activity, 30 Lessons for Living: Tried and True Advice from the Wisest Americans was published today. I don’t quite know what to say – except maybe “whew!”

I’m sure every author feels a mix of pleasure and anxiety when his or her “baby” is launched into the world. But the most important thing on my mind is a feeling of gratefulness for everyone who helped make the Legacy Project and the book possible.

Of course, I am most indebted to the hundreds of elders who shared their lessons for living with me. I can only hope I have conveyed your advice for future generations the way you would have wanted me to.

I’m also grateful to many people at Cornell and elsewhere who nominated elders for interviews, helped collect the data, and gave me invaluable comments and advice along the way.

But I also need to thank you, the readers of this blog (and those who have supported the project through kind words on Facebook and Twitter). I have learned what a supportive community can be created through social media, and I have met many wonderful people committed to learning and cherishing the wisdom of older people. Hats off to all of you!

2 thoughts on “The Book: It’s Finally Here!

1. Karl and Team,

Congratulations on the publication of what I know will be a wonderful addition to our gerontology professional literature and for those who will read it for personal use! I have enjoyed reading many of the insights elders have shared on the Legacy Project Website. Now I look forward to reading this book. Thank you for undertaking this meaningful project that is better informing us through the thoughts and advice directly from these elders.

Karl, in my 30 years as a gerontology educator, I have always found your work and writings to be of stellar quality–and I was more than happy to share it with mu students. The Legacy Project is a continuation of your fine work. Thank you and congratulations!

As I approach my 70th birthday, I am finding the life lessons from the Legacy Project participants to be wise guides for my future.

Thanks!

Joanne

C. Joanne Grabinski, AGHE Fellow, GSA Emeritus member (very recently retired from academe)

Joanne
    C. Joanne Grabinski